Re: mandrake installation

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: Re: mandrake installation
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 10:16:54 -0600

Matteo Richiardi wrote:

> Hello,
> is it possible to install swarm under linux madrake 7.2 distribution?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Matteo Richiardi
> (Torino, Italy)
Since Mandrake is RedHat-alike, you could try to use the RPMs I provide
for RedHat systems.  I'd be very surprised if the rpms do not work.

If that fails, it is easy to rebuild rpms from the available srpm
files.  I believe Mandrake comes with tcl/tk already installed, and you
should check if it has BLT and emacs and gperf. You need to make sure
you have the jikes RPM installed (use version 0.47, I never got to the
bottom of why the newer ones don't work. I think i have a copy online),
and try to install hdf1-4 from my rpm.  If that works, OK, if not, grab
my SRPM and rebuild that and install it.  I'm putting the Swarm SRPM
online these days, and if you rebuld that, you will have an RPM
customized for the mandrake system. Then, you post a note here saying
you have RPMS for mandrake and share with others who want!