Re: Alternative

From: Gulyas Laszlo
Subject: Re: Alternative
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 16:46:34 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I would say, the main difference is in the ease of learning,
installing and using the tool, with Repast having a major lead
there. I've been using Repast for almost two years now, often
working with partners using Linux or Mac OS (I am using MS)
and we had no problems swapping the model around.

Also, it is much easier to set up an initial version of your
model. Especially, with the new SimpleModel 'design pattern'
introduced in Repast 1.4. It is really a piece of cake for
experimenting with ABM.

I wouldn't be worried about its being in Java. Although I haven't
worked in Swarm for a while now, last time I did it wasn't particularly
fast either. I guess, you might be able to achieve real efficiency
with some serious hacking there, but if you have had difficulty in setting
the system up, I doubt you'd be able to take advantage of that.
(At least, I never got that far.)

Good luck!

Gulya

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, Raoul Jean Pierre Bonnal wrote:

> hi,
>
> now are two weeks i'm working on swarm to make it runs on my
> Debian/woody ibook, and i don't get no result.
> Objective C should run but hdf5 no, java doesn't run ...
>
> Surfing on the net i have found StarLogo ( link by Pietro Terna), then
> NetLogo  that is the newest version. In Starlogo FAQ i have found
> RePast.
> I have got it a it run with no problem, ok it's all java, not like
> swarm. It semms to be like swarm.
> If you know it, what are the main differences from swarm?
> I think i 'll use it, swarm has stolen much time to me.
>
> by R.J.P.B.

Laszlo Gulyas                           address@hidden
AI Laboratory                           http://www.sztaki.hu/~gulyas/
Computer and Automation Research Inst.  H-1111, Budapest, Kende u. 13-17.
Hungarian Academy of Sciences           * 36 1 209-6194

--> On leave at Government Department, Harvard University      <--
--> 113b VanSerge, Mails: 34 Kirkland st., Cambridge, MA 02138 <--
--> address@hidden, (617) 384-9088                     <--