Re: hdf5 object explorer

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: hdf5 object explorer
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 10:24:04 -0600

Does anyone use HDF5 for managing data that aren't [un]marshalled
as OOP objects?

The main thing I use it for are large datasets, not object serialization.
(Swarm's EZGraph can create extensible datasets.)

I'm using it for general purpose data management
and am looking for a way to easily render data structures in swarm
from HDF5 and vice versa.  So, it would be handy to have graph
browsers, sub-tree selectors, etc. I can do all this with the HDF5 C interface; but, I'm hoping for some higher level tools,
preferably extensions to the HDF5 abstraction layer.

Take a look at http://hdf.ncsa.uiuc.edu/java-hdf5-html/H5View.
Also, R can be an good way to browse and create HDF5 files, since
it has a list-oriented interactive shell instead of a compiled framework like
Java or Objective C.