Re: [Swftools-common] building a 'phony' playerglobal.swc

From: Matthias Kramm
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] building a 'phony' playerglobal.swc
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 20:29:58 +0200

On Fri, May 01, 2009 at 12:56:07PM -0500, Steve Linabery <address@hidden> wrote:
> It seems to me that one could, for purposes of compiling against
> playerglobal.swc, somehow generate "stubs" based on the information in
> Adobe's .swc. In other words, create a source tree where all the
> interface definitions resided, but there was no real implementation of
> methods. I.e., "flash.foo.Bar.getFoo():Object" would just be
> implemented to return null, and all methods returning void would just
> be blank. Then one could compile that tree, use Adobe's tools to
> generate a .swc from it, and then be able to compile the Flex
> framework without depending on their closed-source binary.

That's pretty much what I did with as3compile. It's not actionscript
source that's generated but c structs (see "builtin.c" in swftools'
lib/as3/), but the principle is the same I guess.
The generator of this file is lib/as3/mklib.c (not sure right now
whether that's part of the source archive- if not send me a private mail
for git access).

However, I haven't yet fully understood why you need this- do you want
to package *both* the Flex compiler *and* your project? If you only want
to package your project, does it matter that the *compiler* is non-free
if your source code is?
(Of course, my argument is based on the assumption that playerglobal.swc
 is in fact part of the Flex compiler suite, which I'm not entirely sure
 about)

Matthias