Re: [Synaptic-devel] What does HAVE_RPM Mean?

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] What does HAVE_RPM Mean?
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 23:42:41 +0100

On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 03:25:18PM -0600, david farning wrote:
> I was going through the source for synaptic and came across
>
> #if 0
> #ifdef HAVE_RPM
> #ifdef HAVE_ZVT
>
> I am puzzled by what they mean.
>
> #if 0 --is this used of debuging?

This is just another way to say: "leave this code out". It usually is
cruft or stuff that was rewritten and left in as a reference in case
there are bugs in the new code. Sometimes (in rare cases) it's code
that is not ready yet.

> #ifdef HAVE_RPM --I assume that this depends on the presence of some
> RPMlibs.  Which system have these libs and which do not?  A google
> search just gave me hits of synaptic source.

This is a define that comes straight from the configure script. It
checks if we build on a rpm system (like connectiva or RH) and set
HAVE_RPM if this is the case.

> #ifdef HAVE_ZVT --I have no idea?  Again google just showed synaptic
> source.

This is from configure as well. You can call configure with
"--with-zvt". This will tell configure to look for libzvt from
gnome. This is terminal emulation widget so that we can show the
output of the package manager directly in a subwindow of synaptic.

I hope this helps :)

bye,
 Michael