taler

[Taler] Mutual credit on GNU Taler

From: Billy Utermann
Subject: [Taler] Mutual credit on GNU Taler
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 16:55:46 +0100

Hi there,
I've been following the development of GNU Taler these last years and I really
like what you all are doing!

I'm researching protocols for creating and administrating mutual credit
networks and I wanted to ask if somebody here has any plans on trying that with
GNU Taler.
Taler seems to be working mostly with existing banks, which a mutual credit
network does not have. Is it possible and wishful to use it without a bank?

For my recently submitted bachelor's thesis, I researched the Credit Commons
protocol, which "supports independent entities to keep track of their exchange
on a ledger which they control. Ledgers can be recursively nested, allowing
trading blocs of all scales to exchange with each other without using money."
(creditcommons.net)
The current reference implementation is somewhat lacking in terms of privacy
and security primitives, so that's why I landed here :)

I'm thinking mutual credit (meaning the system must track negative and positive
limits per user) is contrary to a value-based / token-based system, but maybe
I'm wrong and they can be combined.

Let me know if this list is the wrong place to ask, or if there is information
that I missed somewhere else.

Thanks in advance,

Billy