texinfo-devel

Re: The euro symbol

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: The euro symbol
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 21:42:40 GMT

    The trailing space really annoys me.  Indeed, this is the only @-command
    that is that way.

Indeed.

The case I was thinking of was something like
  I paid @euro{}10 for the book.

It is surely wrong in any language that uses spaces to output
  I paid Euro10 for the book.

Which is why I did this ugly space thing.  (Languages like Arabic and
Japanese would lose, but not French.)

However, even "Euro 10" looks quite strange.  And meanwhile, there are
other cases where the space (not to mention text at all) is wrong, like:

  They designed the new symbol address@hidden'.

Overall, I think there is no good way to make the word "Euro" (or "Euro ")
work well in cases where the symbol is expected.

Therefore, I'm ok with dropping the space in all cases.  It probably
didn't work out well before, and no one ever noticed.  If people want
the word Euro, they should write the word.  The 7-bit-ASCII Info output
will be ugly, but there's no help for it, as far as I can see.

Unless you think something else is better.  I'm not enthused about
inventing a second command, or playing around with translations, though.