texinfo-devel

new luatex and texinfo.tex

From: Karl Berry
Subject: new luatex and texinfo.tex
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 23:42:24 GMT

Hi Gavin - an upcoming new release of luatex is renaming/deleting many
core pdftex-related primitives.  I attached a plain LuaTeX file and a
draft memo from Hans Hagen, one of the core LuaTeX developers, which
shows equivalents for at least most of the changes.

What this means is that if texinfo.tex is to continue to support luatex,
it's going to have to detect this new version of the engine and define
the needed equivalents.  Until now, luatex was sufficiently compatible
with pdftex that we did not need to detect it.

This LuaTeX will be in TeX Live 2016 (not earlier, for TL).  Other
distributions, such as w32tex and miktex, might pick it up sooner, but
in any case, there's no rush wrt texinfo.tex changes.

I don't have strong feelings myself about whether texinfo.tex should
support the new luatex -- bombing out with an error message would be an
equally viable approach IMHO, at least until users come up with a
plausible reason to require luatex.  But anyway, just so you know what
to expect ...  -karl