Re: [Texmacs-dev] Problem with Ghostscript

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Problem with Ghostscript
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 19:34:01 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 2 May 2003, David Allouche wrote:
> On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 07:00:32PM +0200, Ralf Treinen wrote:
> > On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 09:33:26AM +0200, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
> >
> > > Does someone know whether there exist a command
> > > which executes an other command for a certain time.
> > > In other words, either the command terminates within
> > > the given time, or it does not and we kill it.
> >
> > At least on debian machines there is timeout :
>
> I do not think that would be right.
>
> Ghostscript takes an awful amount of time to render some images,
> especially big raster images. It would be difficult to define a fixed
> value for "too long" which accounts for different processor speeds and
> occasionnal lengthy but time-bounded calculations.

I know, but I do not have time to implement a better fix.
I plan to test whether the version number is that of a bugged
ghostscript and give ghostscript three seconds or so to draw an image.
If that does not please the user, then he should use another version.
But if you want to implement a better fix (maybe based on the "ps -l"
output or something similar), then you are welcome indeed.