Re: [Texmacs-dev] AltGr-Key and XFree86-4.3

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] AltGr-Key and XFree86-4.3
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 23:12:39 +0200

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 10:10:14PM +0200, Martin Costabel wrote:
> David Allouche wrote:
>
> >So, I am convinced the old code is out. It would be nice if you could
> >test my patch to work on your system in order to convince Joris.
>
> On MacOSX, it seems to work, both with Apple's X11 and with a
> self-compiled xfree86-4.3.0, and with US and French keyboard.
>
> "Seems to work" means I don't see any difference to the unpatched
> version. I don't actually know what the problem was that was solved by
> the patch. There is no AltGr key on Apple keyboards, there is only the
> alt key that has a similar function.

Last time I checked, the Alt key was bound by default to the same
keysym as AltGr.

Unless you have a special configuration to use this key as the A
modifier in TeXmacs you may have experienced the no-AltGr problem as
well.

The correct behaviour is, for example, to have "Alt-a" produce the
"ae" ligature character. And "Alt-' e" should produce "é" (e acute)
assuming your keymap has dead keys).

It seems that problem was that with XFree 4.3 this did not work
correctly and the Alt key was ignored (as far as it not a TeXmacs
modifier). This patch is an attempt to fix this problem.

PS: another important thing to check is that the numeric keypad
behaves correctly with respect to NumLock, Caps-Lock and Shift. The
Shift modifier should reverse the NumLock switch and Caps-Lock should
have no effect on the keypad.

--
                                                            -- ddaa