Re: [Texmacs-dev] literate programming for TeXmacs

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] literate programming for TeXmacs
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 11:35:26 +0100

On Mon, Jan 23, 2006 at 04:52:34AM +0000, Felix Breuer wrote:
> To avoid misunderstandings: I think there were actually three concepts
> in discussion, namely
>
> 1) David's original idea: Use TeXmacs to work on source files that have
>    tm markup as comments.
> 2) My original idea: Generate (multiple) source files (without comments)
>    from a single TeXmacs document.
> 3) What I am currently suggesting: Serialize a TeXmacs document as a
>    source file where TeXmacs markup is commented. (This is a variant
>    of David's suggestion.)
>
> I am in favour of 3) because it seems to be the easiest way to get
> a literate programming system that works both ways.

OK, that is a variant of 1).

> > 3) The handling of TeXmacs comments in source files should be
> >    very easy to implement. Something like
> >
> >     /* TeXmacs 1.0.5.7 markup
> >     end TeXmacs markup */
> >
> >    would probably be a good marker in the case of C/C++ files.
>
> Can the string "*/" appear in TeXmacs markup?

That is not the issue here. The source file would be a plain C or C++ file.
The import filter for C++ files in TeXmacs would be modified so as to
first extract all comments of the above type. When saving a C or C++ file,
the comments would be put back in.

> > 5) Independently from me, I think that it would be good to develop
> >    a "TeXmacs file system" as suggested a month or so ago on this list.
> >    This should be done in a server based way and the development can be
> >    done quite independently from TeXmacs itself (Felix: I do strongly
> >    recommend the use of Scheme). I think that such a file system would
> >    be of a great help for litterate programming too: it basically
> >    would consider the file system to be a big document.
>
> That is a great idea. I have been thinking about something like this
> myself after reading an article on 9P (the Plan 9 protocol). Can you
> point me to the relevant posting? I had a look but couldn't find that
> email.

That was

        http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/texmacs-dev/2006-01/msg00004.html

In fact, I recommend to already interpret documents as graphs in
such a file system.

Best wishes, Joris