Re: [Texmacs-dev] keymappings

From: Michael Lachmann
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] keymappings
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 17:28:30 +0200

On 9 Aug 2011, at 4:59PM, Sam Liddicott wrote:

>> An alternative is to have a separate session for each document. This means
>> that you can't easily share values between documents. The main times I use
>> this is when I clean up a document, or sum it up - then I open a second,
>> cleaned document.
>>

> Sharing of sessions between documents scares me. I think because I don't want
> to clean up a document. For this reason I generally avoid using shell
> sessions - but a shell is probably much more stateful than an R session.

I'm not totally sure what you mean, but I think R sessions are as stateful as
shell sessions, if not more. (You have variables/libraries loaded etc, you have
you current directory, and sessions can be saved/loaded across restarts. They
are saved in the current directory....)
And you are right - it can be a big mess - within a document, while working,
the result of a calculation can easily appear before the calculation, because
you went up, or the calculation could have been erased. A lot of my time is
wasted hunting up and down a document for where something was calculated....
but it also has its benefits, I guess like GOTOs in programming have their
benefits.... hmm...

But I work with TeXmacs more as a sophisticated terminal for R, not really as a
way to generate documents with R in them.

Michael