Re: [Texmacs-dev] Compiling SVN on Linux

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Compiling SVN on Linux
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 06:09:14 +0100

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 04:32:05PM +0100, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 02:53:06PM +0000, Sam Liddicott wrote:
> > Forgive me if this has been discussed to death, but I haven't seen much
> > discussion on it re:-)
> >
> > If you use git then people can sit on commits a bit longer before they have
> > to push them. Less rushing and more testing means less bad commits.

One more thing about this issue: the main difference between SVN and GIT is
that GIT would allow me to extract useful patches from a contributors GIT
repository.
If contributors have write access, then both SVN and GIT allow for erroneous
commits.

Now I do not want to _extract_ useful patches from contributors code.
It is up to contributors to carefully _prepare_ patches that are as
comprehensive as possible for me. Contributors who are sure
about what they are doing may commit themselves.

This does not withstand that _you_ may use GIT for maintaining a local copy
and preparing your patches. Max maintains a GIT mirror for this.

Best wishes, --Joris