Re: [Texmacs-dev] Auto-update system

From: Miguel de Benito Delgado
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Auto-update system
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 17:32:00 +0200

Salut François,

On 17 Oct, 2013, at 14:56, François Poulain <address@hidden> wrote:

> For GNU/Linux and others free unices, you should leaves this work to
> package managers.

But package managers don't update their packages that often, especially for
some distros like Debian, I think.

Furthermore, Joris mentioned that he wanted to be distributing binary tarballs
only, I guess that in order to keep dependency management simple? A similar
effect can be achieved by providing our own repo and telling the user with a
popup that "A new version is available, please open your package manager to
update". I guess even this popup would be unnecessary with most distros because
they automatically check the repositories.

To recap: the (possible) problem is that not all distributions update that
often. IF this is true, THEN we want our own update system. Why not provide our
own mini-repo and rpms (with every library bundled if need be) instead?

Best,
--
Miguel de Benito.