[Texmacs-dev] Guile 2.2 upgrade, should support for older guile be dropp

From: Karl Hegbloom
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Guile 2.2 upgrade, should support for older guile be dropped?
Date: Sat, 27 May 2017 01:59:55 +0000

I'm working on getting TeXmacs to compile and run with Guile 2.2, which was recently released. I really want to just drop support for guile 1.8. I guess the only concern is that if people out there have programs that rely on guile 1.8 that don't work in guile 2.2 they might want to be able to keep using it with guile 1.8... but that makes me think they can go ahead and just use the older version of TeXmacs with that until they update their program.

Even supporting Guile 2.0 seems unnecessary because it's almost a certainty that the distros will pick up guile 2.2. The macports package for guile is now guile 2.2, and it's hard to imagine any of the Linux distros not having the latest guile involved.

In the guile git tree, there is now a stable-2.2 branch, and the effect guile version in master (unreleased) is now 3.0, with the primary change, so far, being that the support for legacy syntax objects is dropped.

So what I'm asking you is if it turns out that my patches are acceptable will that depend on whether or not it still supports the older versions of guile, < 2.2?

 I have other concerns as well and I'll bring them up in different threads... but foreshadowing to give you something to think about until I actually write a question down... what about goops, and the interface between TeXmacs internals and guile?

It's going to take me a little while before I'm going to have enough put down to feel like pushing it to github.  of course one of the problems with my GitHub codebase is that all of the work I've been doing is on a branch where I've been working using cmake, rather than autotools. That means I'm going to have to take a little bit of time to reconcile what I've done back in with Joris' svn trunk, to ensure that the automake build works also.

--
address@hidden

--

address@hidden