[Texmacs-dev] The default mimeType seems overly aggressive.

From: slb
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] The default mimeType seems overly aggressive.
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 03:56:47 -0500

Hi,

According to `TeXmacs/misc/mime/texmacs.desktop` [0], texmacs will set

> MimeType=text/x-texmacs.doc;text/x-texmacs.sty;text/plain;text/x-tex;

It includes a _text/plain_ !

Some system will treat _text/plain_ very serious and override default
app for all text files, including .sh .py .cpp .h .conf .ini .xml
.html etc.

The reason is that text/x-python, text/x-c++src,  text/html are all
subtype of _text/plain_.

TeXmacs is obviously not a general purpose text editor like VIM or
Emacs. I do not want to use TeXmacs as source code editor or editing
my configuration files.

Please remove _text/plain_.

---

In the same time, texmacs rely on scheme source codes, I suggest to
include an "x-scheme".

x-scheme are defined at xdg-shared-mime-info.xml [1] as below. The
shared-mime-info database should be included on most of the modern
GNU/linux distros.
<comment>Scheme source code</comment>
<sub-class-of type="text/plain"/>
<glob pattern="*.scm"/>
<glob pattern="*.ss"/>
</mime-type>
<mime-type type="text/x-scheme">

[0]
http://svn.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/texmacs/trunk/src/TeXmacs/misc/mime/texmacs.desktop?view=markup
[1]
https://github.com/freedesktop/xdg-shared-mime-info/blob/103b3058353ee7ca2b154b2e3d26d12cd1de958d/data/freedesktop.org.xml.in#L6462
[3] Shared MIME-info Database specification from freedesktop.org
https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/shared-mime-info-spec/

Thanks for great software BTW :)
slbtty