tftb-help

[Tftb-help] TFRSCALO Parameters & Output Help Needed

From: Yasemin Gokce
Subject: [Tftb-help] TFRSCALO Parameters & Output Help Needed
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 17:30:49 -0400

Dear Ladies and Gentleman,

I have a question on the use of tfrscalo use. We are analyzing brain waves and we would like to use tfrscalo to compute the spectrogram (frequency vs time) from a time-amplitude signal.

Our high-level understanding of the process is that we should be feeding the time-amplitude signal into tfrscalo. The out put is a 1-by-4 matrix. And the first value in the output is the magnitude squared of the wavelet transform.

To normalize the values of the output matrix, we've been informed that we should scale down our values by a certain constant and then take the square root of the data. Apparently, for other researchers, this method works and they get a reasonable range that you might expect from brain wave data.

However, we cannot take the square root of the values in our tfrscalo output matrix, because some values are negative. I was wondering

1) Is it possible for the output matrix of tfrscalo to have negative values?
2) If we feed tfrscalo a time( seconds) - amplitude (volts) signal, what are the units of the values in the output matrix?

Best regards,
Yasemin