Re: [Tinycc-devel] Hi

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Hi
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 23:31:43 +0100

Hi,

- Making backends to output different platform/arch obj/bin (ie like
fasm does), if tccasm is gas based, it should not be very difficult.

The current TCC architecture is not satisfying to support many archs. I think it would be better first to add support for intermediate code.

- Supporting 2 VERY important GNU exts:
 * __attribute__ constructor/destructor - A lot software depend on
this...

Should not be difficult. I'll look at that.

 * When in linux, search headers in <common include path> + <common
path>/linux/ - This should be a very easy & fast ad, and it is vital to
correct compilation when including some system hdrs.

<path>/linux is never included automatically by gcc.

 * #include_next  (some system hdrs - like <limits.h> - make use of this
directive) - This one should also not be very difficult to implement.

I agree it is needed to support all glibc headers.

 > The rest is up to you, I don't know what your plans are, that's why I
asked you to tell me, I saw in the docs it lacks of PIC support, but I
think I can't help on this (actually I don't know what PIC exactly does,
if someone can enlighten me I´ll appreciate it so much)

PIC means position independant code. It is used in dynamic libraries and allow the library to be mapped at any address without having to relocate the code.

Fabrice.