tlf-devel

[Tlf-devel] Testing Xtlf-1.0.0alpha

From: Rein Couperus PA0R
Subject: [Tlf-devel] Testing Xtlf-1.0.0alpha
Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 14:12:45 +0200

Hi folks,

I think it is time to release a test version of Xtlf. I will let you
play with it for some time and freeze it until I get some feedback (one3
gets tired after a while...).

Xtlf is a single user (single node) version of tlf. I have built in a
few contests so you can test it. Including cqww, wpx and iota. Also some
recent contests like spdxrtty and the ones Fabian added: foc and yudx.
I think that should be enough for testing the basics. No documentation
yet (of course), I think operation is intuitive for tlf users. Here is
the README:

This single user version (Xtlf-1.0.0alpha) was made to test the GUI and
the basic operation of Xtlf.

What does definitely NOT yet work:
=================================

* The multi user connection + any LAN related functions (gab, multimode
log, etc).
* A lot of functions related to specific contests (not built in yet)
* Voice keyer function on SSB.
* Input function for RTTY (no separate terminal - the mini terminal in
tlf was meant for use with the MFJ controller anyway...)

What SHOULD work in a reasonable way:
=====================================

* CW operation with CWDAEMON only, incl. online config
* Autostart cw like in TRlog
* TRX control via Hamlib (using rigctl, so if rgctl works, it works in
xtlf...)
* Logging of the operating frequency in qso and contest mode
* Cluster operation, incl. point-and-qsy function
* Score window, for those contests already programmed (cqww  foc  iota
spdxrtty  sqp  wpx  yudx)
* Log generation for TRlog, ADIF and Cabrillo
* Multipliers worked display for included contests

Main differences with respect to tlf:
=====================================

* Xtlf uses a simplified log format which can be edited in real time.
* Log edits are reflected in the score, points are calculated in real
time and not copied from the log
* Definitive logs are generated after the contest (including TRlog
format, so you can check your multipliers and points). Push-button
choice of log type (TRlog, Cabrillo, Adif).
* Adif and cabrillo logs include the operating frequency.
* Xtlf does not (yet) check the exchange data (i.o.w. it will not block
when you input silly things)
* Secundary information is now contained in separate, optional windows
(score, spots, mult diplays), so you can use your own 'cockpit' design.
* Cluster access is via the XDX program, which you will have to install.
(I used XDX 1.2). Xtlf reads the dxspots and wwv files from ~/.xdx
* Most config data can be changed via menus rather than in the
config.dat file, making config much simpler.
* Simple rules files will enable more programmers to add contests
* The program was completely rewritten in PERL, making maintenance
easier (and hopefully faster).

Install procedure
=================

Xtlf uses PERL 5.08, Gtk2, Gtk::GladeXML and Glib, which you may have to
install separately before you can use Xtlf. CPAN is your friend helping
you to install these (if you already installed the pskmail client or
gMFSK you should be ok I think).
Xtlf is compiled before every start, which can take some time (> 10
seconds), including writing all tables etc...
Untar the 2 archives (Xtlfconfig-1.0.0.tar.gz and
Xtlf-1.0.0.alpha.tar.gz in your home directory.
You will get 2 directories: .xtlf and xtlf.
Start xtlf from the xtlf directory with './xtlf.pl'.

To change contest type do the following:

Goto the ~/xtlf/scoring/rules directory and do 'cp <contest> ../rules.pm

Also copy your sections list into the ~/xtlf/scoring directory (filename
must be 'sections') if necessary.

Testing
=======

Start the trxcontrol via the Preferences/TRX control menu (RIG Control
on).
Start the cluster window (Windows menu) and the score window (Windows
menu).

I'd like to have feedback on the GUI before I add the next contests.
Please check if this program works with the contest rules files
provided. I cannot possibly test everything myself :)
I also included 2 contests Fabian added (foc and yudx), I have changed
some things to make it work...pse test it. But it proves how easy it is
to add new contests in the future...

If I get a lot of feedback I may change some things :) If not, I am
happy as well (I am foreseen as the main user of the program, and I like
it as it is :)

You find the bits at:

http://pskmail.org/Xtlf/Xtlf-1.0.0.png (just a screen shot so you know
what it is supposed to look like...)
http://pskmail.org/Xtlf/Xtlf-1.0.0alpha.tar.gz
 and   http://pskmail.org/Xtlf/Xtlfconfig-1.0.0.tar.gz

Untar the latter 2 in your home directory and get going...

Let me know what you think.

73, Rein Pa0R

PS.: Time for a beer...