Re: Preferred way to submit patches?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Preferred way to submit patches?
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 21:51:48 +0100

era eriksson <address@hidden> writes:

> I did some idle proofreading and have a diff against the current CVS HEAD
> which
> I would like to send somewhere.  Is this mailing list appropriate for such
> minor
> contributions or do you have a bug tracking system where I could submit this?
> My edits are very minor, mainly punctuation and word order as well as some
> spelling and wording fixes.

There is no bug tracking system for Tramp. The mailing list has been
sufficient so far (and I hope we haven't missed a bug report to be
fixed).

> If you just want to snatch and apply what I have so far, I have a diff at
> <http://porkmail.org/elisp/tramp.cvs/proofreading0.patch> but there is no
> changelog or rationale for my changes.  The location is also a Darcs
> repository
> so if you are familiar with the system, you can use Darcs to see my individual
> commits to the local version contol system.

Thanks a lot! I will go through, and apply your patches here and there
next days. A lot of them are related to Changelog entries and comments,
there we have no legal problems. For the other patches we must take
care, that they don't exceed the "tiny patch" limit (ca 15 lines), which
are possible for people w/o signed legal papers of the FSF.

> I also noticed that Makefile.in still refers to tramp-fish.el instead of
> tramp-sh.el -- I don't have a patch but will gladly provide one if it's more
> convenient for you than simply fixing it here and now.

Yes, indeed. I haven't used both Makefile targets for a while, that's
why I've overseen it. I will change it.

> Thanks for a hugely, massively useful package!

Thanks for your kind contribution.

Best regards, Michael.

PS: If you intend to send further patches (very appreciated!), you might
consider to sign the FSF papers - it would be much simpler to apply your
patches.