Re: "Tramp failed to connect" to an ssh server (gpg as an ssh agent)

From: Daniel Krajnik
Subject: Re: "Tramp failed to connect" to an ssh server (gpg as an ssh agent)
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2023 18:02:13 +0100

You are right, PS1 prompt variable was set outside of the  "if [ "$color_prompt" = yes ]"  statement. Putting it back in allowed for both the terminal emulators to keep the prompt colors and emacs tramp to login.

This issue was also mentioned in the the manual and in this fairly popular stackoverflow question. I should have tried it sooner.

Then I've tried connecting with all the emacs plugins loaded (Doom Emacs framework, helm), but sadly something is still giving a "tramp-error - wrong-type-argument "listp i". Do you know if there are other options to isolate emacs before loading all the plugins or any other ways to diagnose this problem? Just in case I've attached the tramp debug output again from this doom emacs session.

> What is the shell output, if you call ssh -o ControlMaster=auto -o ControlPath=tramp.%C -o ControlPersist=no -e none 128.40.123.56

There is no output, ssh logs in correctly (after prompting PIN) with a regular prompt, letting you issue any command and logout normally (ctrl+d).