Re: "Tramp failed to connect" to an ssh server (gpg as an ssh agent)

From: Daniel Krajnik
Subject: Re: "Tramp failed to connect" to an ssh server (gpg as an ssh agent)
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2023 21:37:07 +0100

> There has been major rework in file name completion

Thank you, I've upgraded doom's packages to the latest version, which bumped tramp up to version 2.6.1.1.

I've tried looking for a way to upgrade it to 2.6.1.2 (package is managed by straight.el and doom's documentation doesn't mention that you can use release number instead of the hash commit), but this broke emacs and I had to revert back (thankfully all is backed by btrfs' snapshots).

After restarting emacs daemon, I've tried to connect again (thinking that it's on version 2.6.1.1) and initially this time it worked.

It did however produce the same backtrace errors, which revealed that tramp is still on version 2.6.0.29.1.

So in the end it is working and it takes a bit of pressing TAB and ENTER to list the home directory - at the prompt tramp still won't for example autocomplete subfolders, but you can navigate there with dired (activated by pressing ENTER).

If it is really still running on 2.6.0.29.1 it means that it could have worked before if I only tried fiddling with these keys a bit longer (I've never used tramp before). But maybe there is some inconsistency with the striaght.el's caches. I'm confused and the first PIN prompt may take 10-20 seconds to show up the first time, but at least it works now (hopefully it won't break when gpg-agent's lease expires).

> It is the "prompting PIN" text I'm interested in.

Because, ~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf was configured to use

pinentry-program /usr/bin/pinentry-gnome3

gtk3 for pinentry (it's necessary when working with gpg in thunderbird) there was not output in the terminal - just the typical graphical window appears and login succeeds.

Interestingly though if you change it to /usr/bin/pinentry (and restart gpg-agent) it fails:

sign_and_send_pubkey: signing failed for ED25519 "cardno:000F 73AE79E9" from agent: agent refused operation

I'm not sure why though?