uisp-dev

Re: [Uisp-dev] mac os x and usb to serial adapter

From: Simon Tinguely
Subject: Re: [Uisp-dev] mac os x and usb to serial adapter
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 00:38:08 +0200

Hello,

I entered this command:
uisp -dprog=dasa -dserial=/dev/cu.usbserial0 -dpart=atmega8535 --erase --upload --verify if=programm.hex

I get:
Atmel AVR ATmega8535 is found.
Erasing device ...
Reinitializing device
Atmel AVR ATmega8535 is found.
Uploading: flash
Verifying: flash
flash error at address 0x0: file=0x0f, mem=0x00
flash error at address 0x1: file=0xe0, mem=0x00
flash error at address 0x2: file=0x1f, mem=0x00
flash error at address 0x3: file=0xef, mem=0x00
flash error at address 0x4: file=0x44, mem=0x00
flash error at address 0x5: file=0xe6, mem=0x00
flash error at address 0x6: file=0x07, mem=0x00
 .... etc.

The microcontrolleur is found, and seems to be errased, as the previous programm doesn't work anymore.

Does that mean that I can't programm my microcontrolleur with this usb-to-serial adapter? My programmer seems to be supported by uisp (I get the same result with dasa2), but the data aren't correctly uploaded. Does anyone know if it exists an adapter (usb to serial) which makes possible the "control of the levels on the individuals pins" ??

Thanks for your help ! :-)

Simon

That programmer may work. You need to use -dprog=dasa or dasa2. If those
don't work, it wouldn't be too difficult to add a new dasa mode.

I don't have time at the moment to figure out the signals, but this
diagram has all the info we'd need to support this programming (if it's
not already supported).

  http://www.lancos.com/e2p/siprog_base.png

Hmmm, on second thought, I don't know if the usb driver will actually
let you control the levels on the individual pins directly. If not, then
you won't be able to use this programmer with a usb-to-rs232 adaptor. I
have very little experience with usb devices.

Do you think I should change my programmer? Do you know which one I
have to buy to be sure that it works with atmega8535?

If you can't get what you've got to work...

For the mac, you are probably better off not using a parallel port
dongle (stk200 like devices) since they also rely on direct control of
the pin levels. I personally like the stk500 since it is expandable and
can also do Hi-V programming (which in some situations may be the only
way to rescue a badly fused device). I use the stk500 for quick
prototyping and experimentation. The avrisp programmer is cheaper, but
limited to only SPI programming.

Ted Roth