users-prolog

RE: General Logic Programming Question

From: Brent Fulgham
Subject: RE: General Logic Programming Question
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 15:14:54 -0800

Thanks for those references.  Now here's a follow-up question:

I have read that Prolog implementations must retain all facts
in core memory, so it would seem that using Prolog to implement
a large knowledge base would prove problematic (unless of course
current Prolog implementations do not suffer from this behavior.)

I suppose that one could connect a Prolog runtime to a database
backend in the canonical n-tiered approach, but it seems that
much of Prolog's built-in searching behaviors would be lost because
all queries would have to be reformulated in standard SQL
syntax.  Or do the existing database bindings somehow work around
this problem?

Any idea?

-Brent