vcdimager-gui-devel

[VCDImager-GUI-devel] Re: Questions and stuff about the VCDXBuild/VCDIma

From: Herbert Valerio Riedel
Subject: [VCDImager-GUI-devel] Re: Questions and stuff about the VCDXBuild/VCDImager
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 14:54:34 +0200 (CEST)

On 22 Aug 2001, Fredrik Blom wrote:
> This is the long-awaited mail and qestions about the VCDImager stuff...
> Please bear in mind that I haven't had the time to look at the 0.7.10xx
> version yet, so some of this stuff may already be obsolete...

> First; Would it be possible to include some sort of meta-element in the
> XML? In my case this could be used for storing information about the
> project (since I use the XML-file as project file)...

something like that was planned; that's why the XML namespace feature is
being used alrady...
I'm thinking about something like either a 2nd container (either at the
same level as the <videocd>, e.g. <meta> or added right under
<videocd>, before any <option /> elements...)

it should be clear, that the handling of the <meta> will be more or less
like #pragma is for c++, i.e. it's content is to be GUI specific,
and to be ignored if not understood... vcdxbuild will completely ignore
this <meta> element and its content...

stuff contained in the <meta> element will have to import/declare it's own
namespace, which is how the meta-syntax used is to be detected...

any comments/suggestions on this are welcome;

> I'm a bit unsure about what can be in the various VCD versions... As I
> understand it, VCD1.1 can only have sequences according to specs, but I
> guess these sequences can have entrypoints but no autopauses. Is this
> correct?
right,

> Are there any other differencies between SVCD and VCD except for the
> type of mpeg (i.e. mpeg vs. mpeg2)? Are there any elements that can
> occur in one but not the other, or attributes that differs?

VCD1.1 can have

*) info
 *) only album-id/vol-count/vol-number

*) pvd

*) custom filesystem

*) sequence-items
 *) only entry points (defining id's doesn't make much sense,
    since they can't be referenced anyway)

VCD2.0 can have all of VCD1.1 plus

*) info
 *) all elements except playtime offset's

*) segment-items

*) sequence-items
 *) all defined sub-elements

*) pbc
 *) all defined sub-elements
 *) empty <end-list /> w/o sub-elements

SVCD1.0 can have all of VCD2.0 plus

*) info
 *) all elements including playtime offset's

*) pbc
 *) all elements, including complete <end-list> element

HQVCD1.0 aequivalent to SVCD1.0.

as you can see, there's little difference between VCD2.0 and SVCD1.0;
and features are incremental...

> If I read the DTD correct, You can have hotspots in the prev, next and
> return selections for playlists? If so, is this something that is
> recognized by VCD players?

NO

hotspots are only available in selection lists; it's due to DTD
expression limitations that they seem to be available for playlists as
well; XML schemas would allow to define better constraints... but unless
libxml2 doesn't support them I'll stick with DTD :)

btw, even for legal hotspots in selection list, most playing devices would
not honour them...

> I guess that's it for now... I'm hoping to get the time to try the new
> v0.7.10 today, but we'll see. Maybe there will be a couple of other
> questions then ;-)
I'm eagerly awaiting them... :)

regards,
--
Herbert Valerio Riedel       /    Phone: (EUROPE) +43-1-58801-18840
Email: address@hidden       /    Finger address@hidden for GnuPG Public Key