vcdimager-gui-devel

Re: [VCDImager-GUI-devel] Re: Questions and stuff about the VCDXBuild/V

From: Fredrik Blom
Subject: Re: [VCDImager-GUI-devel] Re: Questions and stuff about the VCDXBuild/VCDImager
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 08:12:22 +0200

something like that was planned; that's why the XML namespace feature is
being used alrady...
I'm thinking about something like either a 2nd container (either at the
same level as the <videocd>, e.g. <meta> or added right under
<videocd>, before any <option /> elements...)

it should be clear, that the handling of the <meta> will be more or less
like #pragma is for c++, i.e. it's content is to be GUI specific,
and to be ignored if not understood... vcdxbuild will completely ignore
this <meta> element and its content...

stuff contained in the <meta> element will have to import/declare it's own
namespace, which is how the meta-syntax used is to be detected...

any comments/suggestions on this are welcome;
This sound just like what I was thinking about... The best thing to do I guess is to have the <meta> element totally transparent to VCDXBuild so that We gui-guys can use them as we wish...

as you can see, there's little difference between VCD2.0 and SVCD1.0;
and features are incremental...

Okay... What I'm trying to do is to make VCDComposer more helping when changing formats (it have some checks today, but not in all details)...

> If I read the DTD correct, You can have hotspots in the prev, next and
> return selections for playlists? If so, is this something that is
> recognized by VCD players?

NO

hotspots are only available in selection lists; it's due to DTD
expression limitations that they seem to be available for playlists as
well; XML schemas would allow to define better constraints... but unless
libxml2 doesn't support them I'll stick with DTD :)

Okay, that's what I thought too... Good to have it confirmed to...

btw, even for legal hotspots in selection list, most playing devices would
not honour them...

That was my guess also...

> I guess that's it for now... I'm hoping to get the time to try the new
> v0.7.10 today, but we'll see. Maybe there will be a couple of other
> questions then ;-)
I'm eagerly awaiting them... :)
I'm implementing extended output dialog from the create image process, to use the gui- and progress flags. BTW what I do today is that I extract the version number from the text returned on -V option (to see if I can use the gui- and progress flags)... One thing that popped into my head was that it would be nice (for this purpose) to have an option that returns the version number only... Would make it easier to get the information... (I rely on the format of the text returned today but it feels a bit "hacky" :-)

Regards,
Rico