Re: [VM] Mainly: How do you use virtual folders every day? and other que

From: Julian Bradfield
Subject: Re: [VM] Mainly: How do you use virtual folders every day? and other questions
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 08:27:13 +0000 (GMT)

On 2013-01-25, Uday S. Reddy <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 1/19/2013 11:42 AM, Johan Vromans wrote:
>> Sometimes I archive mail that has been dealt with, e.g. business mail,
>> but most often I do not. Every month, I move the INBOX to INBOX.YYYYMM,
>> and the INBOX I work with is a virtual folder consisting of the current
>> INBOX, and the old INBOXes of the past three months. This way I keep the
>> mails that I have online limited to 1000-2000.
>
> That is nice.  So you work with virtual folders on a daily basis?  I am
> glad because that gives me a thorough testing of virtual folders.

I do something similar but less regimented. I have INBOX-lessnew and
INBOX-new, and my INBOX is a vf combining them. In theory, every month
I go through -new, and move mail more than a month old to -lessnew;
and go through -lessnew, and move mail more than a year or so to
archive folders. Both stages include weeding (a necessity because of
data protection - I have lots of work mail that I shouldn't keep
longer than required). In practice, -new sometimes grows to six months:-)