Re: [vile] Wrong background colour in vile

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Wrong background colour in vile
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 06:45:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006, Thomas Dickey wrote:

On Tue, 18  2006, address@hidden wrote:

I'm being silly!  The problem isn't on this system (which is also new
to me) but on the BSD system where I had trouble getting vile to
build.

On that system there isn't an 'infocmp' command.  There is terminfo
but I can't see any tool to extract terminal settings from the
terminfo data.

ok. There's no infocmp (someday perhaps - I'd like to, but there keep coming up bigger bugs). It's still ncurses underneath, but dressed up as termcap - with the termcap data stored in a hashed database file.

To explain better - FreeBSD doesn't use the terminal descriptions that I maintain as part of ncurses. Instead, they use a termcap file that was generated from an old copy of ncurses (and contained a lot of technical defects), and has been manually updated ad hoc for various descriptions. I'm reasonably familiar with the differences for xterm's entries, but the others - have to go back and read the actual data.

The termcap data is stored in a db 1.85 hashed database. The record format is undocumented (there's only a C source-file that is the reference). db's format itself is nonportable (you cannot copy a database to another platform and reuse it there). Newer versions of db have problems with the licensing.

It-would-be-nice to modify ncurses to be able to read/write comparable db-files, for various technical reasons.

I'm aware that OpenBSD also uses a similar scheme - with all of the drawbacks listed above.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net