Re: [vile] vile-9.6j.patch.gz

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] vile-9.6j.patch.gz
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 12:38:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, Chris G wrote:

I have shell access to one Solaris that has UTF-8 locales installed -
enough to test this (no X forwarding, so I cannot test xvile there).

Well I've built vile 9.6j on our Solaris 2.6 system (which is where I
need it occasionally) and it runs OK.  I'm not sure if the locales are
set up right there but there does *appear* to be an en_US.UTF-8 there.

I've forced everything to en_US.UTF-8 by using LC_ALL:-

   crusade$ locale
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
   LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
   LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
   LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
   LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
   LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
   LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8

On Solaris and Linux, you can see the installed locales using "locale -a".
(Not all platforms have that, but it's a good starting point).  The actual
installed locales depends on the admin (as well as the system version of
course).

.... and now vile won't start at all:-

   crusade$ vile
   cannot setup translation from ISO8859-1 to UTF-8

Does this suggest the en_US.UTF-8 isn't properly installed or is it
something (e.g. iconv) that vile needs that isn't working?  With the
locale left at its default (probably some breed of iso-8859) vile runs
OK so it's not a problem really, I don't actually *need* utf-8 on
Solaris.

Actually it would have _some_ utf-8 even without iconv, since vile's
got a lot of the logic built-in.  If you configure --without-iconv,
then you'll get a reasonably workable utf-8.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net