Re: [vile] Columns and linewrap

From: Paul Fox
Subject: Re: [vile] Columns and linewrap
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 09:14:07 -0400

chris wrote:
 > There seem to be two ways of telling vile where to end lines:-
 >
 >     wrapmargin - sets the size of the gap at the right hand side, if
 >     you want 72 column text when typing in an 80 column window you set
 >     wrapmargin=8.  As you type text is wrapped by inserting real
 >     newline characters when the limit is reached.
 >     The *big* disadvantage of wrapmargin is that you can't set it so
 >     you get a fixed text width in varying window sizes.
 >
 >     fillcol/wrapwords - (wrapwords is deprecated) Otherwise this would
 >     appear to do what one wants in variable sized windows.  I.e. I
 >     could set fillcol to 72 and set wrapwords and all text would wrap
 >     at 72 columns even when I'm using wider windows.
 >
 > Why is fillcol deprecated?  Is it likely to disappear?

i think the notion was that we should be vi compatible, and that we
shouldn't have two ways of doing the same thing.  at the time (when
we added wrapmargin) i don't think i realized that wrapwords was
actually more useful.  i don't think it's going away.  tom -- can you
remove the "deprecated" note?  (unless you disagree.)

paul
 paul fox, address@hidden (arlington, ma, where it's 37.2 degrees)