Re: [vile] Strange problems entering extended UTF-8 characters in xvile

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Strange problems entering extended UTF-8 characters in xvile
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 18:49:50 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011, Chris G wrote:

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 05:19:43PM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
On Wed, 22 Jun 2011, Chris G wrote:

I'm having some odd problems entering accented (and other) characters in
xvile.   That is I'm having problems *entering* the characters, when
they are entered correctly they display OK and are correctly encoded etc.

I think we're making progress :-(

The first problem is that using the 'Multi_key' to enter the characters
only works sometimes, I haven't really worked out when it does and
doesn't work, most of the time it just does nothing.  The Multi_key
works correctly in every other application I have tested (e.g. firefox
text boxes, command line windows, vile, etc.).

ok... (something to research).

Secondly, even though I'm running digraphs.rc when I start xvile the
CTRL-K sequence to enter accented characters doesn't work for some
sequences.  E.g. CTRL-K i ^ produces an i with a circumflex but CTRL-K e
' produces ^Ke'.  In fact, looking into it further, it seems that only
the acute accent sequences aren't working.  Is it possibly that the \'
in digraphs.rc isn't being interpreted correctly?  Sequences without a \
seem to be OK.  (This problem is present in vile as well as in xvile)

hmm - perhaps that's a problem resulting from one of the quoting fixes I
made a while back.  If I type (literally) the "\" in CTRL-K E \ '
then I get the accented character that the comment suggests.

You're right, CTRL-K E \ ' does produce an é, at least that allows me to
enter one in xvile!  :-)

it's something that I can probably improve...

Finally, if I paste an é into an xvile window I sometimes get an é and
sometimes I get é.

Is that from the same source?  (uxterm marks selections as utf8-strings,
while some other sources do not).

Yes, just repeatedly hitting the 'middle' button produces this mixture.
I've just been trying this again and it seems to be very variable and
unpredictable.  I wouldn't worry about it too much, it's not as if it's
a major requirement!  :-)

It sounds as if the string is coming across in multiple events (though
there might be some related case).  I'll see if I can reproduce it.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net