Re: [vile] Can one get a list of [single character] commands easily?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Can one get a list of [single character] commands easily?
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 14:49:21 -0400

On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 07:25:56PM +0100, Chris Green wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 12:32:39PM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 12:07:45PM -0400, Paul Fox wrote:
> > > thomas wrote:
> > >  > > p.s.  clearly a "describe-keys" command would be more convenient.
> > > :-)
> > >  >
> > >  > agreed
> > >  >
> > >  > I said it looked simple, though.
> > >
> > > yes, i know it would be.
> > >
> > > i can't seem to connect to ftp.invisible-island.net from any machine
> > > i have access to.  is it up/running/error-free for anyone else?
> >
> > no - it's been having problems since yesterday morning.
> > (more than one issue - bad disk, moved stuff).
> > web/email are working for me, but it seems there's something amiss with ftp.
> >
> > (I can connect via radixnet, but that doesn't help me much, either).
> >
> > I'm just starting on the documentation for this change, can just email
> > the combined patch if you're curious:
> >     a) in October, I started refactoring x11.c (to make it possible
> >        to support Xft - not complete)
> >     b) in January, I went through fixes for Coverity scan
> >     c) more recently, I've been working on the php and html syntax
> >        highlighters.  But again - I see some needed work on ruby...
> >
> > It's mainly that I wanted more progress on (a) that I've not put out 9.8j
> > yet.
> >
> By the way I have quite a bit of web space available at TsoHost a
> reliable UK web host.  The most 'generic' domain would be isbd.net, I
> can set up FTP access if it would be useful.  My account allows 1000Gb
> per month traffic and 100Gb host space and I'm nowhere near those limits
> at the moment.

hmm - that's up a couple of levels from where I'm hosted ;-)

> You could also have as much space as you like on this, my desktop
> machine, which is at zbmc.eu but that has much lower bandwidth and isn't
> of course incredibly reliable though it does run all the time.

well, the _amount_ of diskspace isn't (normally) a problem.

My limit is lower, but well above the ~700Mb that I've got in the ftp area.
It's only that large because I occasionally upload copies of the rpm and
dpkg stuff.  Here's a "du -sk" on my local mirror of the ftp area (web
accounts for another 10%):

        13760   AdaCurses
        197444  DEBS
        3716    GIT
        1196    PKGS
        103536  RPMS
        544     add
        1552    atac
        12340   autoconf
        436     bcpp
        4852    byacc
        188     c_count
        2852    cdk
        180     conflict
        940     cproto
        140     dbmalloc
        8068    ded
        10068   dialog
        2568    diffstat
        380     flist
        68      gnu-patches
        1344    indent
        1632    luit
        35356   lynx
        6620    mawk
        72008   ncurses
        5540    ncurses-examples
        2612    reflex
        28      scripts
        512     tctest
        9416    temp
        4       tin
        40      unproto
        77792   vile
        2980    vms
        1064    vttest
        89716   xterm
        16      xxgdb

The real bottleneck is time - I work on several projects (all separate from
my $dayjob), and generally finish off a set of changes on a given project
before moving to another.  That is, unless something more urgent comes up
(since October, I recall interrupts from xterm, dialog, lynx and luit,
and inevitably, $dayjob ;-).

Along with that, there's the time to maintain the web/ftp area.  I was
using "ftp-mirror" (a package on Debian) to copy-back my changes; however
something in my different ISPs broke _that_ program in November.  I switched
to "mirror" - still Debian (which is still workable), but slower.  I'd
rather use rsync, but that requires a higher-priced account than I'm currently
targeting on my ISPs.

For regular patches of vile, I also put files on phred.org

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net