[vile] turn off cindent?

From: hymie
Subject: [vile] turn off cindent?
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2016 15:48:58 -0400

I guess my first question is, what's the difference between cindent and
autoindent?

My .vilerc is very old and may have some deprecated/unwanted things in
it.  Line 1 is

set cmode

I have a few other things like
set c-tabstop=2
set c-shiftwidth=2
set notabinsert

My main question is this:

I don't always use vile's copy-n-paste to add lines of code to a file.
Sometimes I use the mouse to copy from one window and paste into another.
When I do this, cindent (and/or autoindent) comes into play and
makes my code look like this:

    line_of_code;
    line_of_code;
    line_of_code;
    line_of_code;
        if (more)
            {
                    line_of_code;
                          line_of_code;
                                line_of_code;
                                      line_of_code;
                                            line_of_code;
                                                }

I'm trying to turn off autoindent with these two commands
:set noautoindent
:set nocindent

but neither of those prevents this from happening.  In fact, even after
:set nocindent
I still see this in the output of :set

--- "instruct.c" settings, if different than globals -------------------
Buffer:
   byteorder-mark=none       shiftwidth=2              tabstop=2
   cindent

What can I do?

--hymie!