Re: Inserting text of arbitrary length before rectangular region

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: Inserting text of arbitrary length before rectangular region
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2020 18:08:03 -0500

On Thu, Mar 05, 2020 at 05:05:15PM -0500, Paul Fox wrote:
> marc wrote:
>  > On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 1:43 PM Paul Fox <address@hidden> wrote:
>  > >
>  > > marc wrote:
>  > >  > I'd go the traditional vi route,
>  > >
>  > > Yes, clearly in this case, where the insertion is at the start
>  > > of a line, that's easiest.
>  >
>  > Right; I don't have a good solution for inserting between two columns.
>
> Maybe we really could use a rectangular insert, that works kind of
> like the 'c' command except that instead of overwriting a rectangle,
> it first opens a rectangle of exactly the right width.
>
> (Hmmm.  I wonder what I did with that compiler.  I used to have one
> around here somewhere...  Heck, I don't think I have a recent vile
> source tree.)

I do (along with about 90 other source-trees and a few hundred git clones).

Not that I'm uninterested (rectangles come up occasionally),
but I'm more interested in fixing winvile with Windows 10 :-(

At the moment I'm working on xterm, thinking that I might squeeze in
some development on winvile before putting out another fire :-)

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
https://invisible-island.net