web-hurd

Re: Web page update suggestion

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Web page update suggestion
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 18:08:59 +0100

On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 10:17:53PM +0100, Wolfgang Jährling wrote:
> 1. The paragraph that starts with "Currently, the Hurd runs on IA32
> machines." is now obsolete, because it also runs on PowerPCs. :)

I would like to have Rolands ok first.  The web site, as I see it, should
be maintained similarly to the Hurd source code.  In other words, we should
try to be as good in design, as bug free, and as pedantic about making
modifications.  And it should be in sync with the developments.  In other
words: if we say it works on PPC, we better make sure it really does!
(and I don't think the official sources, even if you take latest CVS, are
enough to give you PPC support - some smaller pieces might be missing).

As soon as I get the verification from a second person that the current
sources run on PPC, I will happily make the change.

> 2. I think it would be a good idea to describe (possibly in the section
> "What the Hurd means" how "the Hurd" is pronounced.

Sure.  I will get my girl friend to explain to me the phonetic alphabet and
make a picture of it and integrate it.  If someone makes a sound file (like
the "Hi, my name is Linus and I pronounce Linux as Linux") I can add it,
too.  Maybe we should ask Thomas to do one.

> PS: And maybe we should add "only Free Software is used in the
> development of the Hurd" as an advantage? ;-)

I am not sure we can make this assertion.  Although the attempt to use
V*ware in Hurd development has failed, some non-free microkernel system
might have been used to bootstrap it (Thomas would know).  And we can't and
should not look over the shoulder of every developer.  But we should try,
and we will certainly not mention any non-free software on the web site or
rely on it in our infrastructure, or anything like that.  But that is given
for a GNU project anyway.

Thanks,
Marcus

--