web-hurd

Re: Web-page policy.

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Web-page policy.
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 18:24:50 +0100

On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 05:17:50PM +0100, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
> What is the policy for off site links on the Hurd web page (I suppose
> this applies to all GNU pages)?

We don't link to non-free software.  There might be else, see the web
standard (there is info on the gnu site, you just have to find it ;)  start
following the link for translators and then you will get there).

> I wanted to add Wolfgang Jährling guide, The (unofficial) Hurd Hacking guide,
> but I am unsure if it is OK to point a link to an off-site server or not,
> putting the guide locally would work but that would make it harder for
> anyone, Wolfgang especially, to update it.

We could add Wolfgang to the hurd-web project.

I would prefer it if Wolfgang would provide patches for hurd.texi with the
information that is in his guide but not in there yet.  I know that this is
more work than just to link to the site, but it is the right thing to do.
(Just like we don't add new features to the code before scrutinizing them).

However, having an introduction for programmers who just want to see how
this translator stuff works in real life, and who are shy to read the full
manual, might be a good idea anyway.  So, maybe renaming "Architectural
overviews" in docs.html to "Introduction to the Hurd" or something like that,
and adding the Hacker Guide (under a more fitting name) would be a good
strategy.  But then I would like it to be in the standard layout on the gnu
site, and Wolfgang can maintain it there.

Thanks,
Marcus

--
`Rhubarb is no Egyptian god.' Debian http://www.debian.org address@hidden