web-hurd

Re: OSKit-Mach documentation

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: OSKit-Mach documentation
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 14:03:20 +0100

On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 11:16:39PM +0100, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> Kevin Kreamer wrote a document about building OSKit-Mach. It's at
> http://www.etherhogz.org/doc/oskit-mach.texi but there is no way to
> find that other than searching the archive. It would be nice if it
> could be somewhere added. (Maybe we should include it in mach.texi?)

OSKit Mach is not ready for prime time.  It is mentioned in passing on the
web page if I remember correctly, but for now I want the web page to be
limited to what actually works and is available, rather than what will
happen in the future.  I know that we are in a difficult stage of
development, but we have a working system and we have areas where we hack,
and we should not confuse our users about what is what.

BTW, I am right now in the progress to develop the last missing link to make
oskit-mach actually useful (the console server), and when this is done, we
will have a much more prominent section about oskit-mach (which will really
become gnumach eventually) than just how to build it.

> AFAICS OSKit-Mach is nowhere mentioned on the webpage. It would be
> nice if users could somewhere find documentation about it.

Users don't need to find it.  Users should use gnumach.

Thanks,
Marcus

--
`Rhubarb is no Egyptian god.' Debian http://www.debian.org address@hidden