www-it-traduzioni

Re: [www-it-traduzioni] Translation of "General Public License"

From: Fabio Pesari
Subject: Re: [www-it-traduzioni] Translation of "General Public License"
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2015 21:38:06 +0100

"Attenuata" I think could be roughly translated as "lessened". There is
also an equivalent word in English, "attenuated", although I think it's
a bit more formal.

"Attenuata" does not have a negative connotation on its own, and is not
a very strong word. It's a fairly mild way to say to say that something
is in some way weakened. The direct translation of "lesser" is usually
"minore", although "minore" does have a negative connotation - it can
also mean "less important", reason for which I think "attenuata" is a
good alternative.

I've personally never heard anybody use the Italian translation of LGPL,
most just spell L-G-P-L (elle-gi-pi-elle). For this reason, I would also
like to eliminate "Attenuata", but to those who don't speak any English
it might not be clear that "Lesser" is an adjective and not a brand
(like Affero).

On 02/01/2015 06:40 PM, Giorgio Padrin wrote:
> As a note, for what i'ts worth, I'd suggest to use the italian expression
> aside with the
> English one the first time it appears in the text, and then to continue with
> the
> italian one.

I don't think that would make our translations more accurate or
consistent. This is the current situation (I'm executing the query on my
copy of the GNU.org CVS repository):

$ find -name '*.it.html' -exec grep -o 'Licenza Pubblica Generica' {} \;
| wc -l

17

Compare it to the practice already established by the Spanish group:

$ find -name '*.es.html' -exec grep -o 'Licencia Pública General' {} \;
| wc -l

78

As you can see, we already use the Italian translation very sparingly.
Switching to the English name entirely would not a big change, if
anything it will make our translations more consistent, but using the
Italian name more often would require a huge effort to enforce something
that is already very marginal in Italian culture.

The Italian Wikipedia article for the GNU GPL (which I think is one of
the most popular learning resources) never mentions the Italian name at
all (https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License), nor do
most Italian developers, IT professionals and hackers. In schools they
call it the GPL, in books they call it the GPL, in code they call it the
GPL. I think this is the right time to make this choice (in the early
2000s Italy had a different culture) and I personally believe it's one
that will pay off in the long run.

Fabio