wxruby-dev

RE: [Wxruby-dev] Need help with sourceforge.jp

From: Curt Hibbs
Subject: RE: [Wxruby-dev] Need help with sourceforge.jp
Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 10:58:56 -0500

Park Heesob wrote:

> Kevin Smith wrote:
>
> > I wanted to get CVS write access on the project, so I created an account
> > on sourceforge.jp. Everything was in English, so it was very easy. But
> > as soon as I logged in, all the menus turned to Japanese! I don't know
> > how to do anything, including switching back to English.
> >
> > Can anyone help?
> >
> I recommend you manage CVS at http://sourceforge.net/projects/wxruby .
> The sourceforge.jp is a mixed site with Japanese and English.
> It's not for International but for a Japanese or a developer who
> understand
> Japanese.

Actually, it would be better to use our Savannah project site:

   https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/wxruby/

The savannah site is intended to be the primary site, and with sourceforge
(eventually) being a mirror. Send me your savannah logon id and I will make
you an administrator.

You'll need to check in the current source in a new directory tree, and then
delete all of the old stuff (we can delete the old stuff later).

> Did you download and compile wxruby again?
> I modified source a little and it now can run on ruby version 1.6.x and
> version 1.8.x.
> If you have any problems, just email to me(address@hidden).
>
> The members of wxruby-dev mailing lists seem to be very busy nowadays.
> I think everybody wants to have wxruby but nobody wants to develop wxruby
> except you Kevin.

This has been the problem with the wxruby project since its inception.

But, of course, every open source project has to get by on the time its
members have to give. And that always varies with what is gong on in the
personal and professional lives. I, for example, just started a new job
after a period of unemployment. Since I am on a contract-to-hire basis, its
critical that I do my best possible work so that at the end of the contract
I will get the best possible offer of permanent employment. So, for me, this
is my top priority and everything else is secondary (including wxRuby and
FreeRIDE). But this is also a temporary situation, and when it changes I
will have more time to devote to these projects.

Its the same for everyone, its just that their individual stories are
different. I very much appreciate that you, Park, have found the time to
bring wxRuby up to its current state. And I'm very glad that Kevin has in
interest and time available to carry this forward.

> I'm tired and discouraged.
> Do you mind if I take over the wxruby project to you?

Don't be discouraged! But passing on the project to Kevin right now is
probably a good idea since he currently has the most energy to devote. And,
of course, you can change your level of participation (up or down) at any
time -- that's the nature of volunteer open-source projects!

Curt