xboard-devel

Re: GTK Port and XBoard contribution

From: Arun Persaud
Subject: Re: GTK Port and XBoard contribution
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2020 12:33:52 -0800

Hello

> I’m a French computer science student who wants to get involved in
> GNU projects. I’m also a big chess enthusiast even-tough I’m a
> terrible player. I wanted to ask you if you were in need of a
> developer for XBoard. I saw on the GNU page that you were looking for
> someone to work on the GTK port of the application. I have some
> experience with GTK and I’m willing to work on this project. I am
> nonetheless a complete GNU noob and have no clue how to participate
> in such matters. I’ve read the contributions guide and concluded that
> emailing this list was the way to go. Was it ? Thank you for reading
> this email and for your time.

I think at the moment there is nothing going on in regards to
development (last commit is almost 2 years ago). If you want to
contribute code I would say go for it ;)

It would be great to see updates to newer GTK versions and better
integration across platforms or features you want to add.

There is currently also no project admin that could do a release, etc.
So that would be another job that is open. I can probably help a tiny
bit with this, but I don't really have time to work on xboard anymore.

As far as contributing goes, there is some paperwork that needs to be
filled out with GNU projects in regards to code-contributions. Would
have to look up how that works again.

Happy holidays! :)

Arun