Re: [XForms] file selector with callback

From: Jens Thoms Toerring
Subject: Re: [XForms] file selector with callback
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 15:22:23 +0200

Hi Michal,

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 06:41:44AM +0200, Michal Szymanski wrote:
> I am a bit confused by the behavior of the file selector with a callback
> defined. I got confused playing with demos while giving a try to the
> newest version, 1.0.93sp1, namely "pmbrowse" which, when a directory is
> double-clicked, prints out an error message (as a directory like ".." is
> not a recognized xpm/xbm file, surely) but the file selector does not
> change the list of files. Only when I click "Dismiss" button, it shows
> the directory I changed to. Is that the expected behavior? If so,
> how should the callback react to returned file being a directory to get
> the file selector refreshed without having to click Dismiss.

My gut feeling is that when you install a callback for the
file selector becomes your programs responsibility to deal
with clicking on a directory - only your program knows what
needs to be done in that situation (perhaps you actually want
to select a directory and not a file?) I guess the pmbrowse
program isn't very well-written in that respect. And hat the
directory gets updated on clicking "Dismiss" seems to be due
to the fact that the "Dismiss" button is actually the "Ready"
button in disguise, just with a different text. If that's the
correct thing to do is a different question...

> BTW, It seems to me rather strange that a "callbacked" file selector
> does not have "Return" button and text input field for entering file
> name from the keyboard. While the latter is arguable, the lack of Return
> button may be a real problem for users who have problems with operating
> the mouse (double click being the only way to select a file).

I guess you've got a point there...

> The manual only mentions the lack of text input field but not the
> "Return" button. Neither it says about "Dismiss" button. Instead there
> is something about the modality of the file selector. Frankly speaking,
> I do not understand the phrase even after consulting my dictionary and
> Wikipedia. Can anybody explain that to me in "basic English"? :-)

You find it in Wikipedia under "Modal window". If a window is
modal it blocks interaction with all other windows. So normally
you can only continue after the file selector window has been
closed. That typically makes sense since programs often can only
continue when a file name has been selected by the user. But if
there is a callback set for the file selector then it does not
prevent interaction with other windows.

About the rest of what you wrote I need to think about it a bit
and try to understand the sources. I definitely see your points
but haven't made up my mind what it actually should be doing;-)

                                 Best regards, Jens