Re: [XForms] xforms and Ygl

From: Jens Thoms Toerring
Subject: Re: [XForms] xforms and Ygl
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 13:23:17 +0200

Hello Frits,

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 09:27:30AM +0200, vwf wrote:
> I have some old programs made for SGI. They use (an old version of)
> XForms and GL. The XForms version was Version 2.1 c (Date:  Oct  6,
> 1992). Some functions were replaced by others, the warnings are numerous
> (pointer problems), but an executable is made.
>
> Can I simply switch from XForms 2.1 c to xforms-1.0.92 or are some
> serious modifications needed to make it work?

I have no idea - as far as I know XForms was written as a replace-
ment for the original SGI XForms library, but how far XForms has
strayed from compatibility with its remote ancestor is something
that only real "oldtimers" or the original authors, Mark Overmars
and Dr. Zhao, will be able to tell you (Dr. Zhao seems to still
monitor this mailing list, so you may get an answer from him if
you're lucky)- I never used the SGI version (or seen any of its
documentation).

Did you try to compile your program with xforms-1.0.92? Perhaps
all you need to do is modify a included header file. Or did
you already try and get lots of compiler warnings?

You also could try to send me the sourves for one of the pro-
grams so that I can have a look myself, might be a fun archae-
ological problem to get it to run;-)

> GL is replaced by Ygl. The executable crashes on a gl problem. XForms
> depends on gl, but this is not Ygl.
>
> Do I need to make a special build of XForms to use Ygl, or can XForms
> run using OpenGL?

Xforms-1.0.92 uses OpenGL. You would need to link also against
libformsGL (and perhaps adjust a few include files, I guess).

                                Regards, Jens