Re: [XForms] xforms and Ygl

From: Jens Thoms Toerring
Subject: Re: [XForms] xforms and Ygl
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 15:57:21 +0200

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 02:11:20PM +0200, vwf wrote:
> > Did you try to compile your program with xforms-1.0.92? Perhaps
> > all you need to do is modify a included header file. Or did
> > you already try and get lots of compiler warnings?
>
> Thank you for your reply. I did it the lazy way and installed the Debian
> packages; unfortunately they are version 1.0 (but they show up as 1.0-8,
> I therefore thought they were reasonably up-to-date: not). Upgrade this
> afternoon.

There was a bit of slowdown in the development and Debian up-
dates stuff in the stable release only after a considerable
time for testing, but the newest version is, as far as I know,
in the "squeeze" (testing) version. On the othe hand building
the package yourself shouldn't be too difficult - it just might
be useful to deinstall the original package first to avoid
having incompatible versions of the header file and libraries
and getting the wring one picked up when building the applica-
tions.

> > You also could try to send me the sourves for one of the pro-
> > grams so that I can have a look myself, might be a fun archae-
> > ological problem to get it to run;-)
>
> I will spare you this; the source is over 400kB.

;-)

Be aware that a number of functions that never were documented
got removed or renamed. On the other hand a number of programs
obviously were written not by looking at the documentation but
the header file (and perhaps the sources) and use some of these
functions. Thus there might be some problems. Feel free to ask
if you get stuck.

> Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 13:43:24 +0200
> > But I have no ide at the moment why this is happening. It looks
> > as something is calling fl_set_graphics_mode() (which isn't
> > documented, and perhaps it would be a good idea to simply
> > comment that call out, for testing at least...
>
> Commented it out, and now it crashed without any message ...
> Upgrade first, and then a debugger. Might be painful. I'm told it will
> be a rainy weekend :-)

;-)
                          Best regards, Jens