Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Changes in font locking

From: Olivier Galibert
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Changes in font locking
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 11:36:37 +0100

On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 11:58:14PM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
> Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:
> > 2003-02-20  Stefan Monnier  <address@hidden>
> >
> >     * subr.el (with-syntax-table): Don't copy the table any more.
>
> Unless nobody checked this using Emacs 21.4, it would then appear that
> `copy-syntax-table' behaves indeed differently in XEmacs 21.5 and
> Emacs 21.4.  Which of the two would be correct, I have no idea.  But
> the call to `copy-syntax-table' seems like a mistake, anyway, and I am
> surprised that we got no complaints from Emacs 21 users yet.

We're talking about the with-syntax-table macro here?  The code in
xemacs cvs and emacs-21.4a are strictly identical and include the
copy.  The docstring also says that you work on a copy ("... set to a
copy of TABLE.").  Did emacs-cvs change that?  It's a change that does
make a lot of sense.

I guess I can't checkout emacs-cvs until savannah works again,
correct?

As for the bug with with-syntax-table/backwards-sexp, I've started
looking at it.  It's interestingly hairy code.

  OG.