[AUCTeX-devel] Re: Future of the Emacs/AUCTeX bundle

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Future of the Emacs/AUCTeX bundle
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 12:34:35 +0200

* Reiner Steib (2007-06-07) writes:

> On Thu, Jun 07 2007, Ralf Angeli wrote:
>
>> [...] if other stuff was already installed into site-lisp [...]
>
> BTW: Did you check how the compiled Emacs handles site-lisp?  Are any
> site-lisp directories present in `load-path' when using emacs -Q?

Yes.

> Does AUCTeX's configure handle it correctly?
> (cf. <news:address@hidden> and

I just unpacked the ZIP archive provided on ftp.gnu.org and it contained
a site-lisp directory with a subdirs.el file.  Configuring, building,
and installing AUCTeX with that Emacs distribution went fine.

>> So perhaps we should continue to provide the bundle for users mainly
>> interested in using Emacs as an editor for TeX and related languages.  I
>> think we should not compete with the binaries provided on ftp.gnu.org,
>> so I'd continue to offer selected CVS versions.
>
> If your target are users who want Emacs as an editor for *TeX, I'd
> suggest to offer Emacs 22 (either the releases 22.1, 22.2, ... or
> selected/occasional version from the EMACS_22_BASE branch) plus the
> current AUCTeX release.  I expect that the Emacs will become less
> stable than in the past and thus not very suitable for these users,
> IMHO.

I'd agree with that but as mentioned before, providing Emacs 22 is --
except for the convenience of having AUCTeX and image libraries included
-- somewhat pointless if there is already an official download.

--
Ralf