Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: AUCTeX tool-bar and icons

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: AUCTeX tool-bar and icons
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 22:23:03 +0200

* Reiner Steib (2008-05-14) writes:

> On Wed, May 14 2008, Ralf Angeli wrote:
>
>> I just played a bit with `find-file' and `menu-find-file-existing' and
>> the distinction looks rather artificial to me, so I would not bother if
>> we did not support the latter.
>
> The difference is that menu-find-file-existing tries to ensure that
> only existing file can be selected

Yes, this is what felt artificial to me.  Why would I want to restrict
myself to a file dialog which offers only part of the functionality of
another one while giving me no advantages?

>> If we dropped XEmacs compatibility we'd not have a need for toolbar-x
>> anymore.  This is not the worst option in my opinion.
>
> But with plain Emacs (i.e. w/o toolbar-x or stuff like in Gnus'
> gmm-utils.el), there's no simple way to make the tool bar
> customizable.

In this case we'd probably need a simple replacement.  Or we drop tool
bar support for Emacs 21 as well which I would not like to do at the
current stage.

>> Can we perhaps make the `dired' option available only on platforms which
>> have the respective image?  Providing the option and then doing nothing
>> or throwing an error when it is used is not so good.
>
> Does it throw an error?  Usually missing images just result in missing
> tool bar buttons, not in errors.

I just checked, it's only a missing button.

> If you don't object, I can commit the following patch.  But as said
> before, it's not tested with Emacs 21 or XEmacs, so someone else (you
> ;-)) might have to modify/fix it for those.

Problem is that Emacs 21 and Emacs 22 use the "open" icon for different
things.  Emacs 21 for "Open directory" and Emacs 22 for "Open existing
file".  So applying the change will likely lead to confusion for Emacs
21 users.  How about defining parts of
`toolbarx-default-toolbar-meaning-alist' differently depending on the
Emacs version?

--
Ralf