Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Implementing TeX-update

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Implementing TeX-update
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2015 18:38:25 +0200

Hi Uwe,

>    > 2015-08-17 12:26 GMT+02:00 Mosè Giordano <address@hidden>:
>
>    > No comment? :-)
>
> Sorry to arrive late on this discussion. Off-topic question to start
> with, where is the «wishlist» you mentioned?

In our manual (info "(auctex)Development") or
https://gnu.org/software/auctex/manual/auctex.html#Development

> Let me see whether I understand the philosophy.
>
> Usually I run C-c C-c and then I will be prompted for latex (pdflatex,
> xelatex whatever). If the viewer has been started it gets updated.
>
> Now the TeX-update function bound to C-c C-u will not prompt you for
> latex or the viewer, but if the buffer has been modified it will run the
> relevant latex command, if not nothing will happen. Is this correct?

Almost: if nothing is changed the viewer is opened.  C-c C-u (or the
new key binding, in case we should change it) basically is like
running C-c C-c repeatedly but without being prompted every time.  The
default option is always used.  You issue C-c C-u and the document
will be compiled until it's ready, but remember AUCTeX' mechanism to
guess the next command is far from being bullet-proof.

> Any other function provided (the region-wise functions apart)?

The function `TeX-command-sequence', on which `TeX-update' (or its new
name, in case we should change it) is based, can be fed with a list of
string: if you happen to frequently run the same list of commands,
e.g. LaTeX - BibTeX - LaTeX - LaTeX - View, you can bind a key to the
following lambda:

    (lambda ()
      (interactive)
      (TeX-command-sequence '("LaTeX" "BibTeX" "LaTeX" "LaTeX" "View") t))

This is like a simple Makefile.  You can also give
`TeX-command-sequence' as argument another function if you don't like
`TeX-command-default''s logic to guess the default command.

> I first thought this is not very useful, but after playing around for
> file, I think now the opposite it is quite handy!! Thanks Mosè!

You're welcome!

Bye,
Mosè