Re: [auto merged failed]

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: [auto merged failed]
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2021 17:19:38 +0100

>>> "TH" == Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:
Hi

> Hi Uwe,
>>> Yeah, as said, because this branch is force-pushed (or actually deleted
>>> and then created anew), you should get your copy up-to-date using
>>
>>> git fetch && git reset --hard origin/tex-build-only
>>
>> Ok I try to keep this in mind (I taught myself fetch is bad pull is
>> good).

> No, fetch is not bad at all.  It's just "load all changes from the
> remote without applying them on my local branches".  And pull is
> basically fetch + merge.

Aha, so this is just the other way around as in mercurial.

 hg pull -u

pulls but does not merge

 hg fetch

pulls and merges

>> Wouldn't it be easier to grant Al write access at some point?

> When he is the one nuking and re-creating that branch instead of me, it
> wouldn't make any difference for you.  Only if we'd say that Al should
> start a merging rather than rebasing workflow, it would make it easier
> (in the sense of "more common") for you.

>> BTW when I pull with mercurial via the hg-git extension I don't face
>> this problem! Curious

> Interesting.  I don't know how that can work.  I can only think that
> either it doesn't actually update anything (because the remote branch
> changed in inexpected ways) or it silently throws away parts of your
> local history.  Both wouldn't be good.

> In the hg checkout, does "hg log tex-build-only" show the very same
> history as

 well hg log tex-build-only does not do anything

 the plugin should translate the git branch to a bookmark, I just
 realized that it translated to a tag (not good, but could be caused by
 a special configuration of mine which allows to translate mercurial
 named branches into git branches). I am not a huge fan of bookmarks, I
 find them even more confusing than git branches. But that gets a bit of
 topic. [1]

>   https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/auctex.git/log/?h=tex-build-only

> i.e., no more or less or other commits on top of the commit marked with
> "master"?

If I run

 hg log -G

I see

◍  changeset:   7670:ad2f78f8b63f
│  tag:         default/tex-build-only
│  tag:         tip
│  user:        Al Haji-Ali <a.hajiali@hw.ac.uk>
│  date:        Thu Mar 11 15:17:04 2021 +0000
│  summary:     Reduced complications by not reading TeX-output-dir from the
master file.
│
○  changeset:   7669:a061fc3a29ec
│  user:        Al Haji-Ali <a.hajiali@hw.ac.uk>
│  date:        Mon Mar 01 13:46:15 2021 +0000
│  summary:     Region files in output-dir and removed TeX-command-file-function
│
○  changeset:   7668:a7e714693fe6
│  user:        Al Haji-Ali <a.hajiali@hw.ac.uk>
│  date:        Fri Feb 26 14:22:26 2021 +0000
│  summary:     Simplified implementation and got rid of Emacs 25 features
│
○  changeset:   7667:12aa3e556b58
│  user:        Al Haji-Ali <a.hajiali@hw.ac.uk>
│  date:        Wed Feb 24 09:31:32 2021 +0000
│  summary:     Complete implementation of Tex-build
│
○  changeset:   7666:21e879d30c4a
│  bookmark:    master
│  tag:         default/master
│  user:        Arash Esbati <arash@gnu.org>
│  date:        Sat Mar 06 23:45:39 2021 +0100
│  summary:     Improve style/footmisc.el

Which seems the same as you see.

Footnotes:
[1]  which reminds me to say that the correct things to handle that
     would be using mercurial topics from the evolve extension which are
     truly short lived branches. But that is really off topic now.