Re: Gradually replacing INITIAL-INPUT in minibuffer

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: Gradually replacing INITIAL-INPUT in minibuffer
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 10:09:34 +0100

Hi Tassilo,

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> Yes, that's how the original `completing-read' does it.  Not sure if
> we need to follow that conservative approach, though.  We could just
> rename the INITIAL-INPUT argument to DEFAULT and change the behavior
> accordingly.

Thanks for your response.

We can't simply drop INITIAL-INPUT for `TeX-arg-length', it used for
example in `TeX-arg-define-length' where it really makes sense.

> Or is there any usage where initial-input is clearly superior to a
> default value?

Not from my POV.  But my first reflex is to keep the INITIAL-INPUT,
you'll never know ...

> Maybe
>
>   (concat "Length"
>           (when (and default (not optional))
>             (concat "(" default ")")))
>
> is a tiny bit shorter.

Thanks.  I installed a change 238dad67f9 adjusting the function and some
places where it is used.  I also had to make a change for the PROMPT
argument.

I will touch the other functions and occurrences as time permits.

Best, Arash