Re: Annotating completion of labels

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: Annotating completion of labels
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 18:20:06 +0200

Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:

> Ok, I suppose for people who like that sort of this.

Of course, the whole in-buffer completion thingy is for people who like
it.

> If implemented then I hope it would be off by default.

The in-buffer completion machinery in AUCTeX is available by default, it
kicks in once you use it.  It doesn't get in the way if you don't use
it.  And in general, the related functions are designed to return
quickly.  And file size doesn't really matter, other that during
parsing.

> I have many hundreds of labels in some TeX files and I would worry
> that what you're proposing might slow down or hang my emacs.

If you're using RefTeX you shouldn't notice a difference.  My
implementation uses `reftex-access-scan-info' which RefTeX does as well
once used.

> In any case, I generate random numbers to insert as labels, so
> completion would be meaningless I think.

Maybe I'm missing the point, but this is about referencing labels with
\ref et al.  So why is completion meaningless inside a referencing
macro?  I admit that RefTeX itself offers a much more powerful interface
with `reftex-reference' bound to 'C-c )'

Best, Arash